Monday, February 23, 2009

MISSION MUSINGS

I'm totally blown away by the amount of Mission done by the United Methodist Women of Missouri. Much to the chagrin of our local pastors, the women of our churches are doing "all the good they can, to all the people they can, anywhere that they can". (sound familiar???? I sure hope so!)
Take for example the women and men of the Della Lamb Auxiliary. For years these diligent folk have spent hours performing grunt work for this mission organization in the heart of Kansas City. They stuff appeal envelopes, invitations, and fold flyers to be sent to supporters of the Lamb.
The Lamb was founded in the 19th Century by Methodist Women as an outreach to immigrant women and their children. Today it serves the urban poor and immigrants in the same area of the city where it was founded. In addition, the Lamb now operates an Elementary Charter School. The Lamb is an official United Methodist Related Institution, but members of the Auxiliary come from many denominations. They know that the work of Della Lamb Services is a worthwhile cause.
Curious about the work of Della Lamb?...need a program? Visit their website.
Then, just think about all of the community food banks, thrift shops, and tutoring that is done by members of United Methodist Women in Missouri. After that think of all the funeral dinners, teas, coffees, etc,, that we do for our local churches. We are doing and living our Mission Purpose. AMEN.

1 comment:

Carolyn Celestine said...

Now that I know where to find you, I will check it often. Della Lamb means a lot to me and to my unit. We support it in any way we can. Me and the Lamb go way back. My kids attended preschool there back in the 60's. They were wonderful to me and my children. I didn't have a car so we would walk to the Center and I would catch the bus to work. The bus stopped right in front of the Center. When I got off work, it worked in reverse. Aahh! The good ole days.