Thursday, September 25, 2008

On the Road for Mission

I was off bright and early yesterday morning. My first stop was the Church Women United Quilt Show at St. James UMC, in South Kansas City. The ladies of the Kansas City Unit of CWU
had prepared a beautiful high tea, featuring the cup and saucer collection of Ms Bobbie Faulkner.
The Rev. Joyce Holley and I had a fine time discussing United Methodism and I also had the opportunity to talk at length with former KC Councilwoman, Joanne Collins.
Joanne and I have quite a lot in common. She knows many of my friends in KC North. We are both committed to political issues rather than political party....at least AFTER the primaries. And, we are both KU Graduates and Jayhawk fans. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
However, we both had to leave before the Quilts appeared. They were supposed to be shown from 10-3 p.m. They were not there by 11:30, so I moved on to my next objective.
At 12 noon, the Board of Directors of Della Lamb Community Services met. Della Lamb is a United Methodist Related Mission, supported in part by the GBGM and especially Women's Division. They currently have 472 students in their Charter School. Much of the work that The Lamb does has always been related to immigrants in the Northeast Area of Kansas City.
After that meeting, I headed to Office Max to do some copying work for UMW Annual Meeting.
This Saturday we will hold our 5th Missouri Conference Annual Meeting. It's difficult to believe this is our fifth one. We are meeting in Springfield this year, and we have pre-registered around 300. Annual Meeting is a time of celebration and recognition of our Mission effort for the past year.

No comments: