Sunday, March 17, 2024

News from Hollywood

 I haven't been to an actual movie theater in years, but that doesn't mean I am not a fan of the cinema. No longer do I park myself in front of the TV, as I once did, eager to watch the unfolding annual Oscar Extravaganza. I just figure, one of these days I will see the movies, maybe on cable or something, that have been just released. I'll just wait until all of the hype mellows a bit.

I did get a chance to see one 2023 released movie, via a small screen airplane viewer. Trapped, and buckled in my skinny seat, I sat through the whole thing. Maybe, I missed the point (if it had one), but, frankly, I thought it was really dumb.

Last night, we happened across a really old thriller "Woman of Straw". The cast looked good, and we decided to give it a try. Excellent. Produced in 1964, and set in a Downton Abby-type country home, Ralph Richardson and Sean Connery fit the parts they played, nasty old man and his debonair nephew. But, surprise, surprise, I would have awarded a Best Actress Oscar to Gina Lollobrigida, for playing the title roll. At the time, she was just a pretty face and a gorgeous body. Who knew that woman could act?

Some movies, like wine improve with age. Maybe there is hope for "The Barbie Movie"?

.........................................................................................................................................................................

Dear Lord. We are blessed by many things. Sometimes we fail to see the forest for the trees. Blessings come in all sorts of packages, often as surprise.

 



No comments: