Friday, March 1, 2024

Give me a "K"

I'm moving. For the past 45 years, my ranch style house has been my one and only home. I have enjoyed living there, but I am headed to a new place, in another part of town. Actually, in another state, but still in the metropolitan area. I'm headed back to my home state.

In spite of being the "Lyric Queen of the Universe" I know only two songs with Missouri, in the title or in the lyrics. "Shenandoah" happens to be one of them. The words repeat in every verse, "across the wide Missouri." Actually, the Missouri River is wide, but it can better be described at very muddy and extremely fast moving. The other is the "Missouri Waltz", played reluctantly by Harry Truman, every time he happened to walk in a room that contained a piano.  Apparently, it was not his favorite tune.

But, I am moving "Back to Kansas, where the great big Sunflowers grow". I will always be "A Sunflower from the Sunflower State". After all, I graduated from Kansas University and "I'm a "Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawk from up at Lawrence on the Kaw".  And one of my favorite songs (please have it played at my memorial service) is the Kansas State Song, "Home on the Range". 

Who doesn't appreciate "Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe" (Kansas towns)? And we have all listened to songs by the group, Kansas (They are from Topeka, by the way.). Kansas is more than a "Flyover State", and how about " Wichita Lineman" by Glen Campbell?

Anyway, I am excited to going "Back to Kansas". I have plenty to sing about.

                                       ............................................................................

Thank you, Lord, for showing us new paths along our life's journeys.




No comments: