Monday, May 1, 2023

Giving and Receiving

 My in-laws were notorious for giving presents, with strings attached. Not pull-toys or hay bales, but presents which, once accepted, you had to do something else, in order to use them. Like the curio cabinet command. I think the present was actually, $200 to buy a piece of furniture (which was meant to hold my mother-in-law's antique crystal). It took $500 ($300 more, of my own), and I had a cabinet, that I could live with. BTW,  we have used that crystal twice, in the past 35 years. A similar monetary gift, was meant for a new recliner, which was supposed to go in our living room. It went in the downstairs family room, much to my mother-in-law's displeasure! There were several other gifts like that, and although I do not want to seem ungrateful, those well-meaning gifts were an expensive pain, in the you-know-what!

So, let's hope I am not guilty, of the above mentioned, type of gift giving. Just giving, for no reason or no reward at all. That's what I love doing. Last night, I gave away crocheted poppy pins, to friends, who drove me downtown, to see the Liberty Memorial, lit up like a giant bunch of poppies. Then, this morning, after church, I gifted a young lady with one of my crocheted basket/purses. That's the third bag, this week, I've given away. I've made thousands, of crocheted things, and I just give them away. However, soon everyone I know, will have a crocheted bag, and/or a poppy pin. Then, I will have do find another something, to give away!

I've been told all my life that giving, is better than receiving. Maybe, that's true or maybe, it's not. I have been given some wonderful gifts. What I do know is that the joy, I receive, from giving things away (especially things, I have made) with no strings attached, is my greatest pleasure.

Let me know if you want one of my bags. I try to keep a few on hand, to just give away!


Dear Lord, keep me humble. Show me how to bring joy to others. Keep me aware of who I am and whose I am. I ask these things in your Holy Name.

No comments:

Older than Dirt

 Obsolete. More and more, my life is becoming obsolete. Because of my advancing age, things that I like to do and words that I choose, make ...