Thursday, May 25, 2023

"A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood"

 Observations in Lyrics, this week.

#1. "Make New Friends, But Keep The Old". In 1954, I went to the movies with my friend, Billy. Almost 70 years later, he still refers to me as his first girlfriend. I'm honored. That's poetic and beautiful

#2. "You're Never Too Old To Be Young". I thought I was afraid of heights. Turns out, I have just been avoiding them. So, Sunday, I rode to the top of a 23 story elevator, climbed another 44 stairs and had 360 degree birds eye view of Kansas City. Marvelous Experience.

#3. "Misty Water Color Memories" Two recent celebrity deaths, Tina Turner and Harry Belafonte. I remember seeing them both, live, in concert, in the mid 1960's. Tina was still with Ike then, and I remember that Belafonte sang in Allen Fieldhouse and the entire audience was quiet as he sang. He had a presence.

#4. "Diamonds are Forever" but air conditioners aren't. It's getting warm in Kansas City and my air conditioner isn't working. I made a call to the repair folks. Of course it's a Holiday Weekend. Maybe they can come next week. C'est la vie. 

#5. "One is Silver and the Other Gold". I attended a Memorial Service for a 103 year old friend. Hers was a beautiful example of a life well lived. Old age is not for the meek and weak. 

Dear Lord. Our lives are not perfect. You never promised that they would be. But some days are just about perfect. We cherish them. Then we have some days that just aren't so good. With Your help we make it through those. Show us how to focus on the blessings that You have given us. We praise Your Holy Name.

 



1 comment:

Karen said...

This could be YOUR BOOK! Love the Lyrics bringing the memories back! Thank you for this beautiful piece...
YMOS

Older than Dirt

 Obsolete. More and more, my life is becoming obsolete. Because of my advancing age, things that I like to do and words that I choose, make ...