Thursday, December 8, 2022

"Oh by gosh by golly, It's time for mistletoe and holly."

Holiday Music, provided to us, nonstop, between Thanksgiving and New Year's, is becoming increasingly annoying to many folks. You know, it's piped into all the retail stores, and it's everywhere, on your car radio. It's at the airport, and where I do my volunteer work. However, MOI, aka: "Santa Baby", proud possessor of the, "lyrics-memory-of-all-times", actually likes it. I mean, since I've memorized, word for word, at least the first two stanzas of every Christmas Carol and Jingle Bell lyric, known to the English Speaking World, I think this music barrage is great. After all,  "It's the most wonderful time of the year." 

Now, I'm not bragging. Well, maybe I am, but in all honesty, I do have a talent for remembering lyrics. But, I'm wise enough to realize, that my gift isn't what you might call amazing, or outstanding or even the least little bit marketable. It's just something I do.

I love almost every Christmas tune. I will sing right along with Bing Crosby and Mel Torme. I can do Burl Ives and Gene Autry, too. And, actually McCartney's "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" and that, perfectly awful, "All I Want for Christmas Is You", are both only the slightest bit mind numbing....because, however bad they are.....I can still sing along because, I know the lyrics, of course!

This morning, I was doing my best version of "I Want a Hippopotomus for Christmas", when my 10 year old granddaughter, just looked at me and shook her head. What, do you think she will be telling her grandchildren, 50 years from now, about her crazy old grandma? She'll probably wish that "Grandma got run over by a Reindeer." 

Well, there you go, I thought, as I began to sing "Feliz Navidad", in my finest Spanish! Let it be said, that I am doing my best to get with the Spirit of Christmas. 

Dear Lord. Faith in You, is the real reason for the season. However we sing it, we glorify Your Holy Name.


1 comment:

Karen said...

Made my Day! You've inspired me to sing along more...
Christmas Cheer!
YMOOOOS

Older than Dirt

 Obsolete. More and more, my life is becoming obsolete. Because of my advancing age, things that I like to do and words that I choose, make ...