Just Cover Your Ears

 So, I've had a few thoughts about Harmony and Discord, lately. It all began with a Fortune Cookie quote. "Harmony cannot be made, if everyone is singing the same note."

Simple, but true. If I were a tattoo-kind of girl, I'd have that inked on me, someplace. It would be perfect to display, when I am accosted by someone who questions my intelligence, because I don't subscribe to the same exact political beliefs, as my accoster!

But then, I thought about Discord. In truth, I've heard a lot of discordant music in my life. After all, I'm the proud surviving mother of four beginning violin students. It's true, I guess, that most folks don't know good music from bad. But, there are folks who can tell. Once, I witnessed a Grammy Award winning choral conductor, stop a performance in mid-note, because some tenors had erred, on a minute series of notes.  Much to everyone's embarrassment, he made the whole group sing the song again. I don't think anyone, but the conductor (and the composer, who happened to be sitting right in front of me) realized the mistake, but the show went on, red faces and all.

Ruth Bader Ginsberg, is quoted as having said (or written), "You can disagree without being disagreeable." In fact that exact quote, and a few similar ones are attributed many other famous and infamous people. There's a bit of irony for you.

So, as we approach, yet another, contentious election, can we remember that there are going to be some winners and some losers. Just vote, everyone who possibly can, then please, shut up. Don't whine if your favorite lost and don't boast if you backed a winner.  We don't all sing the same note.

Lord, you are all powerful and all knowing. We aren't. Thank you for holding us close and protecting us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'll be with you, Shortly.

"Ain't It Funny, how time slips away?"

Dos (As in the number two)