Not on my watch!

 I try very hard not to be political, in my posts, but today, I just can't help myself.

In 1914, my Keller grandparents immigrated to the United States from Central Europe. They came with $80.00, and the clothes on their backs. Neither of them spoke English. My grandmother couldn't read or write, in German, or any language. And, they weren't traveling alone. They brought along their 6 year old niece, headed across the country to Illinois, by train, where they were met by little Eva's parents. They followed all of the rules and obeyed the laws.

My grandfather had been farmer laborer, but in the U.S., he worked in factories and on WPA projects. He and my grandmother raised five children, all of whom graduated from high school. All three of their sons served in the U.S. armed forces, during WWII. One of their two daughters worked in a defense factory, painting clock faces. My grandmother worked, through her 80's, as a nanny, and grandpa dropped dead, while working, at age 60. Most of their grandchildren graduated from college, and one grandchild was career Navy.

They all worked very hard. It wasn't easy. Twice, they had to live through extreme prejudice, while their adopted country was at war, with the country of their origin.

But, they didn't need a government gift of half a million dollars, to thrive. This is a great country. Every day folks risk their lives, by the hundreds, to cross our borders. We are a country that takes care of our citizens and most recently, our non-citizens. Charities and welfare agencies are not supposed to ask whether the people who ask for assistance are citizens. Because, we, as a county, try to help every person in need. That's what God calls us to do. 

We try to promise freedom and equal opportunity in this country. Immigrants have the opportunity to become millionaires, if they work hard. But, a gift of $450,000? In my, generally non-political opinion, that's a slap in the face to all of our immigrant ancestors.....one, two, even four or five generations back. 

Dear all-accepting Lord. You never promised us a rose garden. Life is not easy, and we are not perfect. As we count our blessings, help us to remember those less fortunate. Remind us to take care of others.


Comments

Karen said…
WOW!!! AWEsome!!!
Many thanks for saying IT ALL!
Blessings and Love,
Karen
Nancy K. said…
You are more special than you can even imagine! I love you!!
Scott

Popular posts from this blog

I'll be with you, Shortly.

"Ain't It Funny, how time slips away?"

Dos (As in the number two)