Tuesday, January 5, 2021

"It's a new dawn, it's a new day..."

 Retiring from my job, the last day of the year, my plan was to begin a new phase of my life's journey, on the same day as the new year began. No more rising before dawn and doing my grocery shopping and errands, after working at a desk all day. I planned to begin a life of randomness and spontaneity. No routines.

However, I have written many times about making plans. My philosophy has always been....We can make all the plans we want, but we are not in charge. God makes the plans!

So, to quote someone.....my best laid plans have gone awry. Unfortunately, I'm not really very good at listening to myself! First of all, it snowed about 5 inches, on a weekend. The city does not clear streets on the weekend. So, we were essentially snowed in. There were no random trips...anywhere, for a while. Then, after waking up every day, for years, at 6 a.m., I find that the habit is hard to break. It seems my inner clock is set around 5:30. 

Yesterday, I was at the grocery store at 8 a.m. I was the first one there. The first parking spot, in front of the door, was vacant. Once inside, I discovered that half of the shelves were empty. It was to early for the stocking to have taken place. Next week, my shopping trip will be planned for later in the day.

Either this retirement thing, is not all it's cracked up to be, or I am going to have to work harder to adapt to this life of leisure.

Dear Lord. Change is growth. We live best when we adapt to life, as it is. We know that life does not adapt to us. Guide us through this journey. You are our constant.





No comments:

Older than Dirt

 Obsolete. More and more, my life is becoming obsolete. Because of my advancing age, things that I like to do and words that I choose, make ...