"East Side, West Side, all around the Town."

There is concrete (I love a good pun) evidence, that sidewalks were actually built in ancient times. Both Greek and Roman Civilizations incorporated roadside pedestrian footpaths in their city planning. According to author, Loukaitou-Sideris, the Romans called these walkways "semita".
Then, unfortunately, sidewalks disappeared. (Enter the Middle Ages, plagues, sewage in the street, etc.)
After the Great Fire of London, in 1666, sidewalks started re-appearing. But, they didn't really regain popularity until the rebuilding of Paris, more than a century later.
Closer to home, I.H.C. Royce observed that in 1865, only three blocks of sidewalks existed in the whole of Kansas City.
But, by the late nineteenth century, sidewalks were a common feature in most major cities, worldwide.
Why then, do the runners, walkers, baby-stroller pushers and overweight grandpas continue to saunter down the MIDDLE of my neighborhood streets?
Most of the streets in our area have really nice paved sidewalks. In fact, Kansas City passed a major......$700 million dollar bond issue...to improve sidewalks, just a little over a year ago. Apparently, it has been money misspent!
Get out of my way, folks. Get out of the street and onto those multi-million dollar sidewalks, that you and I have paid for. You are a danger to others and to yourselves.
I am a senior citizen. I am told daily that I cannot see, cannot hear, cannot drive, and cannot move. like young folks. For the safety of all you careless youngsters out there......get up on the sidewalk and save your life...for now, I'm the Queen of the Road!

Dear Lord. I know that you love us unconditionally. We sometimes do foolish things. Watch over us and protect us from ourselves. We praise your Holy Name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'll be with you, Shortly.

"Ain't It Funny, how time slips away?"

Dos (As in the number two)