Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Where for art thou, Juliet?

I have always appreciated several verses about change. "Change is growth", is one of my favorites. Or, "The only thing that is constant, is change." Normally, I'm all for change.
However, I have just recently come across some changes, that have me puzzled.
Locally, the natural gas company used to be called, Missouri Gas Energy. Pretty straight forward, don't you think? That company was purchased by Laclede Energy, a St. Louis based company. That name has been in existence for over 100 years, Laclede being one of the founders of St. Louis. Now Laclede has changed to Spire. What does that name have to do with gas service? I am imagining a column of fire, set off by a spark and a gas leak!
Then, my mortgage company changed its name. What was once NationStar, is now Mr. Cooper. This change made no sense to me at all. So, I did a little research and read that this particular choice of company name was made to "connect with individuals". What individuals? Gary Cooper? Tyra Banks? Eddie Money?
Then, my cable company went from Time Warner......two longtime communication names.....to Spectrum. What the heck? A spectrum is defined as a fluctuating series of items. I guess that's why customer service with our cable company is always up or down, on or off!
When Shakespeare wrote, " A rose by any other name, would smell as sweet", he was dead wrong.

Holy Lord. Help us to understand what you need for us to do with our lives. Show us how to glorify Your Holy Name.


No comments: