Sunday, February 12, 2017

$11.06

I try to eat healthy. I really do. I watch my fat and sugar intake. I eat as many green and yellow vegetables as I possibly can. And, I don't eat as many starches and desserts as I would like to. I have never been called "slender", but, I can still get through an average door frame.
However......
Sometimes, a girl just has to have a greasy burger and fries. Once in a while isn't all that bad. Right?
Well, last night I stopped by a local burger joint. I was by myself and feeling pretty guilty for not going home and eating left overs, which I usually do. Anyway, I waltzed right in and ordered the single combo.....burger, fries and a soda. Since that's the only thing on the menu besides doubling, tripling and quadrupling the burger size, my decisions were minimal.
I love this joint. Wood tables and mismatched chairs, plastic advertising on the wall, greasy food, and oldies tunes played on a video screen (jukeboxes aren't being made anymore, I guess). The place reminds me of life 50 years ago, in the town where I spent my formative years. When I go there, I always visualize the burger places of my youth. I think fondly about The White Grill, The Ottoway, Griff's and Ned's.
When my food was served, I had just heard the original "My Girl", and "Why Must I Be a Teenager in Love?" was just starting to play. I was fifteen again!
Another customer, at the counter, placed her order and I heard the clerk say, "That will be 1106".  Oh my, 1106 was the most famous and the greasiest burger joint in Pittsburg, Kansas. Coincidence? I don't think so.
Life is pretty special and full of great little pleasures......even if you have a tummy ache for the rest of the evening.

Dear Lord. You act in mysterious ways. We are not meant to understand You. We know that you love us and that you will be with us, always. Help us to keep Faith.

No comments: