Tuesday, November 22, 2016

"Be Prepared"

Did your mother caution you to "always wear nice underwear (without holes), because you never know when you might end up in the hospital and someone would see the holes"?
Well, to this day, my underwear is never holey. I am prepared. I will forever be ready for that surprise hospital visit.
This old adage came to mind, just last Saturday night. Scott and I were invited to a Dance Troupe fund raiser. The event was held in a private home, in a nice area of town, and we were excited to attend.
Upon entering the home, we were greeted by two nice young women, one of whom told us to put our coats and shoes downstairs. I was dumb-founded. "Shoes?" I asked. She replied that the host had requested that all guest remove their shoes.
Now, this was a nice house, but really? I've had lunch in the Missouri Governor's Mansion. I've toured Monticello, Mount Vernon, a couple of Lincoln's homes. I've walked through the White House and Versailles, for Pete's sake, and I wore my shoes in all of them.
But, I weakly complied with the request and went downstairs to take off my boots. They were my best boots. Off came the boots. Now, everyone knows that no one sees your socks in a pair of knee-high boots. But, uh-oh, I had a tiny toe hole in one of my stockings. So, off came my socks.
I came upstairs in my bare feet.
I need not have worried. There were plenty of bare-foot folks at the event. Apparently, lots of folks wear socks with holes!
I briefly ☺ wondered about their underwear.

Dear all-knowing and all-powerful God. You really know us. You know what we do and how we think. Help us to remember that in every circumstance, you will be there for us. We don't surprise you. We trust your love and guidance.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I threw away a pair of undies today because Mother would have expected it.
Thanks for the reminder...
Love all your posts---they're the BEST!!!