Sunday, October 9, 2016

EH?

My Word! Just what has happened to correct pronunciation, these days? I admit that my hearing isn't what it used to be, but the language folks use these days is atrocious..
Many of the newer sports broadcasters say "corder" when they mean quarter. What they say is.....The Chiefs failed to score in the third "corder". What does that mean????
How about "axe"?  Usage being.....He "axed" me that question. There is no x, in asked! It's like crying in baseball!
And, for the umpteenth time....there is no "R" in Washington. There never has been one. There will never be one. George didn't say it like that. His name was Wash...ing...ton. His name was not Warsh..ing..ton. And, please don't say......I'm going to the warsh room and warsh my hands. Egad!
Then there is Kindygarten. If you say Kindygarten, perhaps you should have stayed there and never graduated, with honors, from Harvard!
Oh, and then you have names. There is only one Barbra......the rest are Bar..bar.. as. I have yet to meet a real Dorthy, but I know many Dor-o-thys. How awful to have your name constantly mispronounced. 
Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.
My workmate says "sar" instead of saw, but, for Pete's sake, she's British. She has an excuse.
There is no excuse for sloppy speech.
Forgive us, English teachers of America. We are an embarrassment.
So folks, while you are doing the right thing!.....Just say the right thing.


Great and all powerful God. As we go through this journey of life, keep us on the right path. Show us your way. Speech, as fouled up as we make it, is very important, as we attempt to communicate your word and work. Help us find the right words to share our many blessings.


No comments: