Thursday, March 31, 2016

Jesus and Alfred E. Newman were right!

Just in the past week, two folks have spoken to me about worry. Worry is an extremely powerful emotion. It is very easy for us to allow it to consume our every thought. The very idea that two different people, from two very different parts of my life, could have the same worry......that their loved ones were worrying too much, is proof that worry is a powerful force.
Some people actually describe themselves or others as "worriers" I grew up as a very worrying type of person. My mother used to tell me not to be such a "worrywart" (whatever that was?). And, I have worked at doing just that. These days, I don't worry so much.
Some where, along my life journey, I figured out that worrying was a fairly useless activity. My mother used to say to me...."Is this thing that you are worrying about, whatever mistake you have made, whatever stupid words you said.......is it going to make any difference one hundred years from now?"
No, of course not.
Worrying doesn't help a thing, and even God doesn't want us to worry. He tells us, in the New Testament, not once, but twice, to stop worrying.  Look up what he says in Matthew 6:27, and Luke 12:25. He must have known how important it is to not waste our time worrying, to have said it twice!
Worrying makes us fearful. Don't spend your time worrying. Worrying never cured cancer. Worrying never gives anyone happiness, wealth or fame. It only keeps us from living a full and meaningful life.
So stop worrying....or at least try let go of a few of your worries and fears. You are worrying us.

Good Lord. Why do we continue to worry? We are not Faith Full. We have very little Faith. We haven't learned to turn things over to you. We are slow to realize that you will be here with us, no matter what happens.
Show us how to increase our Faith. Release us from worry.




No comments: