Sunday, October 11, 2015

Misty Water- color Memories........

Like most people that I know, I have mixed memories about my childhood and youth. I wasn't particularly brilliant. (My sister was the smart one). I wasn't particularly athletic. (My dad told me I threw and hit like a girl!) And, I wasn't chosen Homecoming Queen.
But, believe me, life in Kansas was great. I have wonderful memories of growing up in the 50s and 60s, in small town Middle America. I was blessed.
On most summer nights, I can remember dropping off to sleep, listening to the radio. Those  nights that  my Dad was home, the program of the evening was Major League Baseball. This would have been before we had a TV or maybe before night games were televised.
Anyway, my dad would sit, on a lawn chair, on the front porch and listen to the game. He was probably drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon or maybe Schlitz, from the bottle. The night was still, and there was no noise from the air conditioner, because we didn't have one. My sister and I slept in the front bedroom and all of the windows were open. There was no talking, because my dad wanted to hear the game
One of the teams would have been the St. Louis Cardinals. I believe that was the only team being  broadcast in our area. My dad wasn't very demonstrative, but I do remember him swearing in amazement at the grammar of Mr. Dizzy Dean. What kind of idiot, he would ask, would say,  "He slud in to second base."? Well, Mr. Dean, sure made an impression on me. To this day I am very careful about my choice of tense for the verb slide.
Great  memories. Simpler times.

Good and gracious God. Our lives change. Things get complicated. Help us to remember the basics. Love you. Love one other.
We need you in our lives.
Stay with us, forever.

No comments: