Tuesday, July 21, 2015

That's What It's a All About!

Today, a truly "un-churched" man spoke to me about religion. He just could not wrap his mind around what he believed was the prevailing thought around the world, "That the only good neighbor is a dead neighbor". He asked me, "How can religious people commit murder in the name of God?"
He is right. Hatred and killing are everywhere. Racism is an issue. Nationality is an issue. Ageism is an issue. Politics is an Issue. Wealth, the lack of it and the desire for it, is an issue.
I really didn't have an answer, but I told him that not every one lives that way. A true follow of Christ tries very hard to love everyone. It's not easy. That's why we are practicing Christians.
Do I sometimes fail to show all the love that I can to my fellow humans... my neighbors? You betcha! I can be a really bad girl. But God knows, I'm trying.
I live, I forgive and God knows that I keep trying to be a better Christian.
And, in the end, the answer should be to Love God and love your neighbors as you love yourself. It sounds so easy, but it is often so difficult.

Great God, around us. Listen to our prayer for peace. We all want a good life. Why can't we share what we have joyously and without hatred?
Your steadfast love endures forever.
We praise your glorious name.

No comments: