Saturday, December 28, 2013

shhhhhhh

It appears that I will be ringing out the old year with a full blown head cold. It was bound to happen. No amount of hand sanitizer, Air Borne or Lysol can keep the germs away forever. My spouse and grand kids have been passing around a similar illness for the last two weeks. They have been coughing and sniffling for days.
Whenever I catch a cold, however, my voice just goes away. Today, I cannot say a single word, above a raspy whisper. I catch colds like this because I talk too much and this is God's way of occasionally putting me in my place. That's my personal theory, but dozens of fine folks would agree with me.
It's so hard for me to keep quiet. I am a vocal person. My current job has me answering the phone, for Pete's Sake. I couldn't do that at all, yesterday. It's difficult for a teacher and receptionist to loose her voice. I have so much to say to so many people.

Great and powerful God. You have my attention. I am slowing down, keeping quiet and catching my breath. You have made your presence known and I am thankful for your healing power and grace. Remind me that I am not nearly as important as I often think I am. Remind me that I am just one of your beloved children. For that and many things, too numerous to mention, I am eternally thankful.







No comments: