Saturday, July 20, 2013

Excuse me?

I pass numerous roadside advertisements, on my daily commute. One of my favorites is a large billboard that reads, "Your wife is hot. Fix her air conditioner." That's just too cute. And, I once drove up to a panhandler who held a hand-lettered sign that said, "Cereal Killer. My bowl is empty." Very clever. So, I gave him a buck.
Every day I drive by a suburban office building that displays a large, professionally lettered sign, "SMALL TENANTS WELCOME".
Excuse me? Does that mean that I, at 5 feet 3 inches, can apply, but my 6 foot husband cannot? What about my feisty friend, Shirley? She's about 4'10".  Can children rent there? Will they accept toy poodles as tenants, but not the standard breed? How about elves, leprechauns and munchkins? (Okay, the sign isn't in OZ...but it is in Kansas.)
So far, I have resisted the urge to pull over, leap out of my car and dash into the lobby. Will I be greeted by one of those life-sized posters, reminiscent of Disney Parks? "YOU MUST BE smaller THAN THE PRINCESS' MAGIC WAND TO ENTER".
I'm genuinely puzzled.
How often do we say or write something that makes perfect sense to us, but is totally confusing and misunderstood by others? The owners of that office building know exactly what type of tenants they want. But, to the passer-by, it's confusing, and slightly humorous. Words and phrases can often have double or sometimes even triple meanings. Often our words are just plain funny, but sometimes the misunderstandings can be hurtful.
Wise folks always think before they speak, or even post signs.

Gracious Lord: Teach me to hold my tongue. Help me to realize that my words can surely praise You and your children. Remind me to be thoughtful of others and to watch my mouth. You give us choices. Help us to make the right ones.

No comments: