Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Me Generation

In the past month, I have been fortunate enough to secure suitable part-time employment. The work is enjoyable and the environment is safe, clean, comfortable, and empowering. My fellow workers are especially nice. This new job, my first adventure into retail sales, is proving to be fun and rewarding. It's a pleasure to get up and go to work.
Because of what we sell, nearly all of our clients are senior citizens. One day last week, every one of my customers was well over the age of 90. It appears that when folks become nonagenarians, they WANT to tell you their age.
Many of our elderly clients are accompanied by their adult children, and these care-givers, most of them senior citizens themselves, are amazing. They open doors, adjust walkers, provide stability and gently offer advice to their parents. They are kind and caring. They are beyond generous, often paying for their parents' purchases. I have not heard one harsh or impatient comment from any of them.
Gee whiz. Wasn't our generation supposed to be the most selfish and "me" directed group of folks ever produced? We weren't going to look out for anyone but ourselves. Well, I'm not seeing it.
What I am seeing is heatwarming. I am truly blessed.

Oh Lord, giver of all that is good, thank you for the opportunity to serve. Bless all of those who honor their parents. Continue to guide and direct them.
Life throws us all kinds of challenges, and we know, with certainty, that You are there to help us.
We glorify Your name.


No comments: