Thursday, February 28, 2013

Just a pretty face.

My spouse went to renew his driver's license, yesterday. As residents of our state, it is something we do every six years, whether we want to or not.
Luckily, our closest Department of Motor Vehicles Office is located not far from our house. It used to be even closer....in the back of a pet store. Most of the licensing locations in our state are housed in local businesses. I've renewed my license, over the years, in a laundromat, a grocery store, a hardware store and the above mentioned pet food store. That pet food store smelled like birds, cats litter, dog food and pet poo. Believe me, waiting in line, next to the Fresh Step, was very unpleasant.
Driver's licenses serve as our state's photo ID. So, the photo you have on your license is a six-year reminder of how you looked on the day you received your license. When I last renewed my license, I had no hair. I had just finished a 6 session round of chemotherapy. I remember asking the surly clerk/photographer if I could just keep the last picture (when I had hair). She said, "No. Of course not." For the last five years, when I have needed photo ID, I'm always asked, "Who's this bald chick?"
Yesterday, at the DMV, was a tale of "not-who-you-know-but-what-you-are". The young, very attractive women directly in line in front of my husband, was having her ID photo taken. The young male clerk took her photo 4 times, before she decided it was okay. When it was my husband's turn it was ONE and DONE. He didn't even get to look at it before it went into the laminator. Oh, well.
The moral of this little tale. Life just isn't fair.

Gracious and all knowing God. Thank you for our many blessings. Our stumbling block are minor. You will catch us every time we trip. We know that you are with us each minute of every day. Open our hearts and minds to see all aspects of your wonderful world.

No comments: