Monday, October 22, 2012

Size Matters

I like driving small cars. For years I drove a Volkswagen Beetle. Ffor their size, those German (actually Mexican made) cars are heavy little things and they do hug the road. The Beetle was the perfect car for my many trips around Missouri, and beyond. This five foot 2 inch woman and her car were "one with the road."
More recently, I have had to use larger vehicles to accomplish my trips for work. Now, as I travel the Midwest, I rent mid-sized cars or small vans to transport me and my stuff to conferences and to do "hands-on mission" workshops.
Last Saturday, I loaded up every available inch of a huge Ford Expedition or maybe it was a Ford Exorbitant, with cartons of boxes and wrapping materials for a big event. All the items had to be unloaded at my destination and then reloaded again, for the trip back home. It was a very long day.....14 hrs., and I only fell off the running board once.
It's been quite a while since I've driven anything that big. Thankfully, this car was shiny and new. Everything on it worked. My last experience with something that big was an old pick-up truck. The seat adjustment was broken, so I drove it with my purse stuffed behind my back (to get my feet to closer to the pedals) and I had to hang on to the wheel, with both hands, to see over the steering column.
My trek with the big Ford was a good one. I had safe travels and a great event.

Thank you, God, for watching over us. You give us strength in time of need. Your tender mercies surround us, as we face the challenges our lives. We praise your name. Your goodness endures forever.

No comments: