Tuesday, September 25, 2012

And the Winner is..........

As I have written before, my best contemplative time occurs on my morning commute. About half of my 20 minute ride consists of an absolutely straight, 6 lane, divided urban street. During rush hours, the road is packed with cars.
At every cross street, there is a stop light. This could present a problem, but if my timing is right I can cruise from one end of the 3-mile strip to the other without stopping. If I keep my speed between 35 and 38 miles per hour (35 is the speed limit), my commute is smooth sailing, and hesitation free.
However, every morning there are folks whizzing past me, as I cruise along in the center lane. Yesterday, I counted 7 lane changes, by the driver of a black SUV, as he swerved and zipped around me and others, before vanishing from sight.
North Burlington Avenue is not the Grand Prix.  What causes us to race through life? What is worth the rush? Is there a prize for getting to the end of the Heart of America Bridge (or for that matter, to the end of life), first? I really don't think so.
The stop lights along North Burlington Avenue are timed to work to the commutors advantage. The speeders and lane switchers will meet a red light, somewhere along their journey. It's inevitable.


Almighty God, Creator of the Universe, help us to remember to enjoy our journey. We pray for trouble-free travel, but we make our way with the assurance that you are always in the passenger seat, never leaving us alone. Forgive our Sins.

No comments: