Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"One is silver and the other gold."

Do you know how to make a stranger a friend? The answer couldn't be any easier. You just find some work to do, together.
This past week, I invited "10 Mission Workers from Wichita" (sounds like a sports team, doesn't it?) to come and do some volunteer work, at my place of employment. They came on Thursday, and by Sunday afternoon, when they departed, eleven complete strangers had become eleven fast friends.
A common bond, which in this case was a desire to help those people who truly need assistance, makes for a great connection. My new friends tutored our non-English speaking clients. They copied, pasted, stapled and even wrapped Christmas Presents. Over 400 Christmas Presents!
Well, doing all of that work together became more fun than a barrel of monkeys. We talked and laughed and told stories. We shared our faith and our life experiences.
Monday, I woke up and I found out that in my heart of hearts, I was missing 10 members of my "family".

Lord, you must take real joy in knowing that your children can become friends and sharing companions. How unhappy it must make you to see us become enemies. Show us how to love one another and truly mean it. We really want to please you.

No comments: