Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What do you care?

My friend made an observation yesterday, and it was from a stand point I had never considered. I had always held the position that it was important to "dress for respect." In other words, if you want to be treated with respect, dress in a manner that demands it. Because,if you look like a zero, that's the amount of respect you will get. Zip, nada, zilch.

But, my wise friend had another philosophy. (We were observing some pretty sloppily dressed folk.) She said, "It makes me sad to see the way these folk dress. Do they dress the way they do because the people they deal with are poor and needy? By looking so sloppy, they are showing disrespect to their (students, clients, fellow workers, etc.).
So, I am thinking that I have had it all wrong. My thinking is backward. As usual, it's all about me.

Good God. Thank you for slapping me up the side of the head. I know you want me to think of others. Show me the way to make a difference in your world. Guide me feet, Lord, while I run this race.

No comments: