Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"Yes, indeed"

Well, are there any of you out there who still remember Fats? "I'm talkin'", about Fats Domino. You know,the "I found my thrill, on Blueberry Hill" guy. He's the singer that Chubby Checker was mocking when he created his stage name. So, it's just like old Fats Domino sang, "I'm walkin', yes indeed, and I'm talking, yes indeed".
Our preacher, Wally, asked us to "walk across the room" and start talking to others about our personal Christian story. I told him that, frankly, the Christians I know often have trouble just changing pews.....let alone walking all the way across the room. It's way too much of a journey. It's just too far to go.
But, my journey or my faith story, is exactly what this blog is. Every week, I write about what I believe and what I think that God is telling me to write about.
Not a day goes by without someone I know telling me their opinion about the state of the economy or what they think of Obama or the Tea Party. Some complete stranger will spout off about Fred Phelps or abortion or "don't ask don't tell", but for some reason, only the real "crazies" will talk about religion or faith.
Scott wrote an email last week telling someone about the scriptures he reads daily, and one of our children called wondering if Dad was getting spiritual advice from some crazy Bible stuff, like from Job or something. Excuse me. Why can't we express our faith without being accused of being looney?
Scott reads scripture. I quote Wesley. It's who we are. We're walking across the room, friends.


Hey, Jesus. You love us and you want us to be faithful. We do it in a lot of different ways. Help us to be true to you always. Lead us in this journey of life.
We are your servants.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Your children don't think Scott's looney from scripture...it's because he's dad. I personally think both my parents have fallen off their rocker, and Macy is already telling me how silly I am.

:)