Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"What's Your Name? Is it Mary or Sue?"

Because I felt the need to put my rear-end where my mouth is, I spent the morning volunteering in the Adult English Language Learner Program at Della Lamb. Coming off of a big celebratory weekend, "Happy Birthday U.S.A.", this morning was a big smack in my patriotic face!
The 30 women I met this morning,in the beginner class,were thrilled and thankful to be given the opportunity to learn to speak, read, and write English. For two hours, I helped them fill out their enrollment forms. They were struggling to learn what all of us natives have been doing since infancy. Most of the adult students in the classes at the Lamb have not had the opportunity to attend school in their home land. These are adults who cannot, for the most part, read or write in any language.
The adult immigrants and refugees, at the Lamb, speak 40 different languages. I speak English and a teeny weeny bit of French. But, we communicated.
Every woman understands the word BABY. One woman could tell me that she was the mother of twins by holding up two fingers and making a double downward sweeping motion with her hands.
And peanut butter? Who knew Africans eat peanut butter?
I know that I have struggled to understand a smidgen of Spanish, French and German. I cannot conceive what it must be like to be dropped in a country where only my family speaks words that I can understand.

BTW, I am going back tomorrow. I am blessed to be able to volunteer at Della Lamb.

Universal God. I saw You this morning in the eyes of Somali and Sudanese women. You were speaking to me through the Creole words of Flore. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn from these eager students. Thank you for the teachers and faithful volunteers who do Your work. You are an awesome God.

No comments: