Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Young uns.....

I was recently reminded of my role, as a young mother attending my first United Methodist Women's Events. For the most part, I always felt welcome and the more experienced women were most generally friendly and thrilled that a new generation was interested in Mission. There were times, however, when this young thing was put in her place. Those infamous words of Christian involvement rose up to smack me in the face. "We have always done it that way", can drive away a new recruit faster than a bull whip, ladies!
Words like, "Our funeral dinners always have ham, potato casserole, green beans, and jello salad. (Never mind that people just don't eat like that, anymore.) And, "Jane has been our Treasurer for 25 years.(Have you ever asked anyone else???)
My six foot friend was once told to stand on a stool to stir the gravy at the church stove. Being six feet tall, she didn't need a stool. But, my friend did as her she was told, because her five foot mentor said, "We've always done it that way."
Ladies, change is growth. Get out of your ruts, and embrace the young, and realize there may be more than one way of accomplishing a task.

Gracious God, please show me the way. Help me to realize that I can use some help and that the old ways aren't always the best. I know that you are always with me. Your goodness is my rock.
Amen.

No comments: