Friday, October 3, 2008

CHURCH CHAGRIN

Yesterday, I was on a Mission. I set out to find a home for the 100 plus cloth diapers and 20 totebags that were given to me last weekend at our UMW Annual Meeting. As I was packing up to leave Springfield, a woman approached me and asked if I would take her Unit's items to Kansas City. Of course, I replied. Only later did I realize that my ready answer would cause a bit of an issue. I forgot to ask her where I was supposed to deliver them.
I drive a Volkswagon Bug, already packed with three women and their luggage. When I saw the stack of items piled by my teenie weenie car, I thought I was in trouble. However, we managed to squeeze everything in.....people, luggage, posters, diapers and totes and return home to KC.
I had to be in Liberty, yesterday, so I dropped in at the North Star UMC. They were nice but knew nothing about where to deposit my cargo. I asked if they had a list for Festival of Sharing items (thinking that at least I might determine who wanted my treasure) and they told me that they didn't "do" the festival.
Next, I headed to the First UMC of Liberty. Their Mission Coordinator helped me locate a drop off for the Festival Of Giving. But, he didn't have a list of their needed items. It seems that their youth used to "do" the Festival, but they aren't participating this year.
I then called Broadway UMC, a Festival Drop Off Point. I left a message on their machine.
Then I called FUMC North Kansas City and talked to Kate McClaine. She said that she thought
Broadway would only accept items on one day, very close to the Festival date.
Next, I called Joyce Holley. Left another message. Then, I called the conference office of Creative Ministries. Left another message.
By now, I decided to go home, unload my car and wait for an answer from someone who could help me. The Conference Office returned my call and suggested that I call Broadway UMC. (Picture the liturgical circles here?)
Skip ahead to this morning. Joyce Holley returned my call and we have plans to meet at her office on Monday at noon, to exchange the "goods".
At last an answer to my prayers. The diapers and totes, made lovingly by the ladies at Anderson, MO, will be delivered and used by those in need.

No comments: