Monday, September 9, 2024

"...............a room in Bloomsbury."

 For the last two weeks, my friend and I have been living and traveling in a great big pick-up truck. It's been our transportation and our home. It's a great vehicle, but did I mention that it is Big! And, I am short.

I first noticed how big it was, when I tried to climb into the front seat. Thank goodness it has a handle that I can use to haul myself up into the seat. The floorboard of the truck, hits me at the top of my legs. Over the duration, I got pretty good at hauling myself up into the truck, but climbing out of the front seat was another matter. I'm past 75, I do not just hop down. I don't hop anywhere, so I learned to ease myself out of the seat and carefully, oh so carefully slide, without hitting my tailbone on the floorboard, to the ground.

I'd like to say that it became easier to haul myself in and out of the truck cab, as the days wore on. But, seriously it got harder. Maybe I gained some weight or maybe I just aged, but by the last couple of days, I was using two arms to grab onto that handle and I'd added several minutes to my slippery exit.

So much for traveling. Fortunately, we had a fine new bench to help me climb onto the lowered tailgate. From the tailgate, we had access to the inflatable mattress on the bed of the truck. Never having done it, I was skeptical about sleeping in a truck, but it was actually very comfortable. Cozy and warm, for those cold desert nights.

We had a really cool, second tent, that sat on the ground, and became the second room of our traveling home. The first room, was the tent over the truck bed. Two room camping is really first class. Having the tents attached to the Big pick-up, really helped during the winds and dust storms we experienced in the Nevada Desert. And, I will also give credit to my tent mate, who fastened all of our tents to the ground with screw-in tent pegs. And he brought his electric screw-driver to install them!

Getting a late start, towards home, we did end up sleeping a few hours, in the front seat of the Big pick-up. It has (and who knew such a thing still existed) a bench seat. A couple of pillows and a blanket and we were all set.

.......................................................................................................................................................................

Dear Lord. Thank you for presenting adventures. For allowing us to make choices. For keeping us safe.


No comments:

Who Really Cares?

 Is it fair? Is it fair to travel back into time and change a person's legacy? I mean, a hundred or maybe two hundred years from now, wi...