Wednesday, May 22, 2024

"New" Sports

 Recess in the 1950's (as I remember it) consisted of "Jacks" and jumping rope for the girls and "Softball" for the boys. The doors into our Grade School were segregated by gender, so likewise, was recess. Maybe softball was considered to risky for females, but I honestly remember sitting on the sidewalk, during recess, doing nothing more athletic than catching a little ball before it bounced, and trying not to get hit or tripped by a rope.  "Teddy Bear,Teddy Bear turn around. Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear touch the ground......"

After we matured a bit, say fifth grade, I do remember a co-ed softball game or two. We ladies hated it. Many of us had never played softball, and I did (as my father consistently told me) "throw like a girl".

When my children were in grade school, the kids played a game called "Kickball". I believe that all the kids played., regardless of gender. Talk about the perfect recess game! The only equipment you needed was a big rubber playground ball and a foot! Cheap! Each of my sons told me that they were the best Kickball player, in their respective classes. They loved the game.

So, 30 or 40 years pass, and what do I see, as I drive by a large urban park, on my trips into downtown Kansas City? Organized adult Kickball Games being played. Every Sunday, there are league games and often tournaments for big folks playing Kickball. Apparently, besides the foot and ball, the only other things you need to join in the fun, is money to register and matching shirts! The generations who played recess Kickball, are doing it again.

Who knew that something so old fashioned and simple could become such a great activity? Simple rules...roll the ball, kick the ball, run like crazy. Great exercise.......very little blood spilled.

Terrific. Great idea, but don't expect me to sit cross-legged on concrete trying to catch that tiny ball again (or get back up, either)!

......................................................................................................................................................................

Merciful Lord. Thank you for the joy of life. Each day is a blessing.

1 comment:

Karen said...

One of the BEST things about your column is the Prayer/Reflection at the end. You always seem to HIT (or should I say KICK) it just right! Thank you.
Karen

Who Really Cares?

 Is it fair? Is it fair to travel back into time and change a person's legacy? I mean, a hundred or maybe two hundred years from now, wi...