Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Just A Number

Most of us remember an exercise in elementary school that taught the "value" of large numbers. Sometimes it was collecting a hundred bottle caps or 100 empty soda cans (they were easy to recycle...two lessons in one!) Or in the case of a few of us, writing a sentence like..."I will not (cheat, talk, copy, etc.) in class.", was the punishment for misbehavior. Having to write anything, a few hundred times, was a lesson well remembered.

In the 1953, there was a movie entitled, "How to Marry a Millionaire". Well, it wasn't an award winner. It was just a bit of badly acted fluff, but "a Millionaire". Wow. That seemed like a lot of money, in the 1950's. 

Fast forward to 2021. Now, were are seeing and hearing the words BILLIONS and TRILLIONS. To tell you the truth, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around those numbers. I can't even imagine a number like that! It's only a matter of time before we hear quadrillions, or more.

So, here's my idea for those folks who want to borrow, mint or raise taxes, to cover those exorbitant spending numbers. How about asking them to handwrite the word DEBT, 3 or 4 trillion times? They should be made to visualize and actually experience how much that number really is! That would be a wake-up call, to our legislators, and I think we would see more responsible governing, in the future. 

Dear Lord. I pray for our nation. We must all take responsibility. Give us strength and discernment. You are our Guiding Light.

No comments:

Older than Dirt

 Obsolete. More and more, my life is becoming obsolete. Because of my advancing age, things that I like to do and words that I choose, make ...