Friday, January 4, 2019

Ask away!!!!!!!

Almost every day one particular gentleman announces himself, at my desk by saying, "I'm here with another stupid question." And, I reply, in my most accommodating voice, "There are no stupid questions." And, I truly believe that there are not!
People ask questions, because they do not know the answer. That's not being stupid, that's just being uninformed. When you ask and are given a correct answer, you have admitted your ignorance and thus emerge wiser and smarter.
By contrast, there are folks who amble by, every day. They are mostly visitors and vendors, and I know darn well that they don't know how to go about getting to their destinations, but they won't ask for assistance. I am sitting behind a customer service desk, for goodness sake. But, they are too embarrassed to ask for help........or too stupid. Not asking a question, when you don't know the answer, in my opinion, is the epitome of dumbness.
Years ago, I memorized a short poem, on this very subject:

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun himHe who knows not and knows that he knows not is simple; teach himHe who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep; waken himHe who knows and knows that he knows is  wise; follow him.

Dear Lord. You are all knowing. Help us to ask for guidance and forgiveness.


No comments:

Older than Dirt

 Obsolete. More and more, my life is becoming obsolete. Because of my advancing age, things that I like to do and words that I choose, make ...