Tuesday, February 18, 2014

I Don't Think So.

I experienced a bit of a theological break through yesterday. In the midst of listening to a  sincerely heart-felt sermon on "God's Plan", I realized that I didn't believe most of what I was hearing.
Bad stuff happens to everyone. Heart attacks kill. Snipers wreck havoc on innocent children. Whole populations are wiped out by typhoons and disease. It happens. And, I don't believe any of those things are "God's Plan."
My God doesn't want his children to suffer. Most of us are responsible for our own health. We make poor judgements in our exercise, habits and food. We, and sometimes our descendants, pay dearly for our choices. God does not force us smoke, drink or eat chili cheese fries, in order to follow "His Plan" for us.
There are some really bad and confused folks on this planet. My God does not "allow" crazy people to gun down shoppers, in a mall. Don't blame that on God, or Satan or anyone but the person with the AK47.
And, weather happens. God does not destroy His beautiful Earth, in order to teach people a lesson (no, I don't buy the Flood story, either) or make things work into his "Plan". If the conditions are right, look out and move to higher ground.
My God doesn't want me to try to second guess Him. What He offers is not a mystery. He wants me to know that He will be there to comfort  me, when the inevitable tragedies of life occur. Life happens and I refuse to believe it's His plan. He loves me and He does not want me to suffer.

All Powerful and Knowing God. I put my trust in you. You will be my strength and my shield in time of need. I know that you will be there for me, always.

No comments:

Older than Dirt

 Obsolete. More and more, my life is becoming obsolete. Because of my advancing age, things that I like to do and words that I choose, make ...