Monday, September 7, 2026

Boomers

 As long as I can remember, I have heard the phrase "Post-War Baby Boomers". It began appearing in print and in conversations even before I understood or could read anything. The term refers to the historical period between 1946 and 1964. 

Nancy Ann and a humongous number (76,000,000) of other folks were born in that era. Imagine the United States in 1946-1947. Thousands of young men were returning from service in WWII.  The war was officially over, with the surrender of Japan, in September of 1945. Life was looking good. Needless to say, my graduating class of 1964......eighteen years later and the class of 1965, were the largest, on record, to date. Now, you  know why there appears to be an immense number of eighty years olds, these days. Everyone knows someone....

Along with the boom came a need for more schools and added classrooms. We had a surge of 1950's and 1960's suburban housing development. World wide economy took an upward turn. Jobs were plentiful. Then, as we aged, advertising began focusing on the huge number of teenagers. Then came the "hippies", and in a few more years, another "baby boom". Fast forward fifty years, and now, we have a enormous number of Seniors. Senior housing is popping up everywhere. Healthcare costs are rising. Boomers are aging and passing.

Well, there you have it. I guess I'm proud to be a Boomer. The Gen-Xers, Ys and Zs, blame us for a lot of their current woes. What do you think? I say... Bring it on Guys (actually I am not a guy, never have been, and I abhor that stupid, general term).  Boomers are tough. We drank out of garden hoses, rode bikes without helmets, and paid for our children's braces! We can take the whining.

........................................................................................................................................................................

Lord. We are all different. We have different challenges, daily. But, we have You as our constant. Continue to watch over all of your creatures. Guide us. Hold us in the palm of Your Hand.

 

No comments:

Boomers

 As long as I can remember, I have heard the phrase "Post-War Baby Boomers". It began appearing in print and in conversations even...