I had a type of flash-back moment this morning. I want to share it with you. Today, a Space X Rocket was successfully launched that put 26 communications satellites into orbit. And, if that wasn't enough, the rocket and the booster have been recovered and will be reused for future launches.
Remarkable naturally, because I'm so old that I remember the first rocket launch, ever televised....or at least televised to a bunch of school kids, in 1958. Picture this.....a hundred or so 4th to 9th graders, sitting on the floor in the Lakeside School cafeteria, watching ONE, moderately sized, TV set. The black and white, kinda fuzzy image of a rocket being sent into "space". Ladies and gentlemen, it was mesmerizing. Certainly a monumental event. A couple of years later, on the same cold floor, we saw Alan Shepherd, become the first American, to go into "space". Big stuff. The Space Race was on!!!!
I'd like to say, that we all get the same excitement from such NEW stuff today. Unfortunately, we've become our parents and grandparents. We're skeptical of the innovative. We don't like change. I suppose we can't hep it, but oh, to have that wide-eyed wonder of the amazing again. It would be glorious.
Instead, I often hear statements from my contemporaries like..."I would never own a "self-driving" electric car. I want to be in control."(Okay. Your eyesight is poor, your knees don't work and you couldn't make a split-second decision to save your life....but you still want to manually drive your 15 year old, gas guzzling buggy!). Remember we all used to drive stick shifts, but we got over that!!! Or, "I refuse to shop at Walmart, because it's ruined local shop ownership." (The corner grocery, is long gone, folks...... and we all like cheap stuff.)
We say "change is difficult", especially as we age. Why is that? Our bodies change, why can't our minds do the same? Embrace change, my friends. C'est la vie.
.....................................................................................................................................................................
Lord, You are the only Constant we really need.

No comments:
Post a Comment